Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Porter home badly damaged in fire

Back To Front Page

 

A home on Knoelke Drive in Porter was badly damaged in a fire Sunday morning, the Porter Fire Department said.

All four occupants of the one-story ranch home at 2 Knoelke Drive were able to evacuate the residence safely but the family’s four cats perished in the blaze, Assistant Fire Chief Dan Branham told the Chesterton Tribune today.

Investigators have determined that the fire began in a son’s bedroom, after he’d fallen asleep with a lit candle left on the floor of his closet, Branham said. As near as the boy can tell, he awoke approximately 30 minutes later to find his room filled with smoke and visible flames. The son then roused the rest of the household and--just as the smoke alarms in the home began to activate--the family succeeded in fleeing the home.

Assisting the PFD at the scene, under an automatic mutual aid agreement, was the Chesterton Fire Department, whose firefighters did “a hell of a job on the knock-down,” Branham said. Also responding, after Branham activated a first-alarm, were the Burns Harbor and Beverly Shores FDs. At the scene as well were the Porter and Chesterton police departments, Porter EMS, and the Porter County Chapter of the American Red Cross.

Firefighters used approximately 1,000 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze and although they managed to confine the fire itself to the bedroom and just outside in the hallway, the house sustained significant heat, smoke, and water damage, Branham said. He estimated total damage at $125,000.

The PFD performed about an hour of overhaul on the house, then cleared the scene at 6:15 a.m.

 

 

Posted 10/23/2017

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search