Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Porter Fire Department responds to stove fire at Orchard Apartments

Back To Front Page

 

Something left unattended on a stove at the Orchard Apartments on Tuesday smoked up two units and caused several thousands of dollars in damage to a kitchen, the Porter Fire Department is reporting.

No one was injured in the fire, however.

Fire Chief Jay Craig told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 4:11 p.m., the PFD and--under an automatic aid agreement--the Chesterton FD responded to the Orchard Apartments after a resident was awakened by an activated smoke detector.

The resident found something burning on the stove, with flames extending both to the drywall behind the stove and the cabinets above it, Craig said. The resident succeeded in knocking down most of the fire using flour, then called 911. A responding Porter Police officer subsequently used a fire extinguisher to smother the rest.

The resident believes that the fire was caused by something his girlfriend left cooking on the stove but was unable to say what, while Craig said that it was unclear from the scene what initially ignited. Craig did estimate damage at $5,000.

The PFD ventilated both the residentís apartment and a neighboring unit, then cleared the scene at 5:10 p.m.

 

 

Posted 12/12/2018

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search