Chesterton Tribune



Plats approved for Easton Park and Conservancy Point

Back To Front Page



The Chesterton Advisory Plan Commission kept things pretty short on Thursday approving recommendation of a primary plat for the planned Easton Park and secondary plat for Conservancy Point with votes of 4-1.

The planners had previously voted favorably for changes to the planned unit development ordinance for Easton Park which was later approved by the Town Council.

“When the PUD is approved, the plan becomes a plat,” said attorney Todd Leeth who represents the developer Olson Farms, LLC.

Easton Park, located on the east side of CR 250E at the eastern terminus of East Porter Avenue, will have up to 346 single-family homes.

No one from the audience spoke for or against the plat at the public hearing.

Voting in favor were Commission members Jeff Ton, Emerson DeLaney, Fred Owens and President George Stone. Against was Thomas Kopko who last month said he wishes the development plan had more green space.

The same vote went for Conservancy Point’s secondary plat. Developer Jeff Ban of In Good Company said no public improvements had been added since last time.

Planners noticed that part of the development dipped into the flood plain of the Coffee Creek Conservancy District. Ban said the floodplain encroaches slightly but nothing will be built there.

Conservancy Point plans for 23 buildings with a total of 170 rental units. A clubhouse is included along with a pond and playground.

In other business, the Commission accepted letters of credit from Brassie Estates -- $38,816 from the sidewalk guarantee and $58,023 from the infrastructure maintenance guarantee.

Also, Stone and DeLaney agreed to join a committee with Town Engineer Mark O’Dell to work on changes for the Town’s sign ordinance due to new regulations by the Supreme Court.

Out of state surveyors

During the meeting, DeLaney mentioned he’s gotten inquiries from residents asking that if they wanted to do a survey of their property, could they hire a surveyor from out of state.

O’Dell said that a surveyor needs to be licensed in Indiana in order for the Town to accept surveys. He recommends they find a surveyor in the state and knows there are quite a few who charge a fair rate as compared to those out of state.

“There are plenty of local firms in the region that can do (surveys) economically. Costs shouldn’t be an issue,” O’Dell said.



Posted 10/16/2015





Search This Site:

Custom Search