Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Park Board OKs June 3 concert in Thomas Park promoting school safety

Back To Front Page

 

 

By KEVIN NEVERS

The Chesterton Park Board has given its blessing to an afternoon of live music at Thomas Centennial Park, organized by a pair of Chesterton High School students and specifically promoting school safety and awareness of gun violence.

At their meeting Tuesday night, members voted unanimously to authorize the use of Thomas Park from 12 to 4 p.m. Sunday, June 3, pending legal review of the contract and receipt of insurance documentation.

One of the organizers, junior Sam Houghteling, told the board that the event will not be political or ideological. The point, he said, is simply to raise awareness of the body toll and the peril posed by guns in the wrong hands. “We want to make sure nobody forgets (the shootings in Parkland, Fla.). I participated in the National Walkout (on April 20) and was very affected by it. I thought the National Walkout was a great idea.”

Houghteling’s co-organizer, junior Elle Hodge, concurred. “We’re not taking any political stances,” she said. “We just want to keep the problem of gun violence in the public eye.”

Houghteling and Hodge are hoping for 10 to 11 acts to perform at the concert and expecting a turnout of between 250 and 300, Hodge said. So far they have a commitment from Rolling Stone Bakery to sell food but are looking for other local vendors to be on hand as well.

Chesterton Police Lt. Joe Christian added that his DJ business, Arresting Sounds, will provide all sound gear for the event and that two paid CPD uniformed officers will be in attendance throughout the afternoon. “It’s a family event,” he said. “It’s an awesome event. I don’t anticipate any issues at all.”

“They’re a good group of kids,” Christian added.

Chesterton Cruise Night

In other business, Town Council Member Emerson DeLaney, R-5th, approached the board from the floor to ask whether the Park Department has plans this year to continue Chesterton Cruise Night, the classic car event which has been held in the Downtown on the last Saturday of the month during the summer.

DeLaney said that he’s been asked by three different people what the Cruise Night’s future is and he’s been unable to tell them. He added that one classic car club boasting 750 members has indicated it would be pleased to help with set-up and such.

Superintendent Bruce Mathias was on vacation and not in attendance on Tuesday, but Park Department Administrator Hilary Thomas-Peterson said that Cruise Night was always the baby of former Park Board member Vince Emanuele and that she doesn’t know at the moment whether Emanuele intends to continue his involvement. Thomas-Peterson did say that she will reach out to Emanuele for guidance.

Because Cruise Night in the past has entailed the closure of Broadway between South Calumet Road and Third Street, Associate Town Attorney Connor Nolan did note that a formal petition for the road closure will need to be made before the Town Council by someone representing the car buffs.

Dogwood Park Restroom

Meanwhile, Town Engineer Mark O’Dell reported that the new restroom facility at Dogwood Park will be open this weekend, that arrangements are being made to turn on the water, and that NIPSCO has run electrical service to it.

 

Posted 5/2/2018

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search