Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Orlich: Superior Ambulance contract no reflection on existing ALS service

Back To Front Page

By KEVIN NEVERS

Superior Ambulance Service remains on track to begin operating in the Town of Chesterton on June 1, under a three-year contract approved by the Town Council last month.

In the meantime, Fire Chief Mike Orlich wants to clarify a few issues. Foremost among them: the arrangement with Superior should in no way be interpreted as a comment on the advanced life support service now provided to residents by Porter Regional Hospital, Orlich said.

“This has nothing to do with the current ALS,” Orlich told the council. “We are doing this to improve the level of service we provide the community.”

“It’s in no way a criticism of any existing service,” added Member Jim Ton, R-1st.

“Absolutely not,” Orlich agreed.

More: Orlich said that he expects the fees which Superior will charge residents to be no higher than those folks are currently paying for ALS service

But, Orlich noted, Superior will strictly be providing 911 emergency care. Persons who need a simple non-emergency transfer--say from their homes to a clinic for dialysis--will need to make their own arrangements with a private contractor.

Under the terms of the contract, any revenues over and above Superior’s $450,000 annual operating cost will be split 50/50 with the CFD, to help the department recoup the cost of responding to EMS calls.

CFD Surplus

In other business, and at Orlich’s recommendation, members voted to declare the following CFD items surplus equipment: a 1988 Pierce engine which failed its 2012 DOT inspection and has been out of service since; and a jon boat and 30-horse power motor which were originally donated to the CFD.

Engine 512

Orlich also reported that Engine 512 is temporarily out of service after the lift cylinders for the cab failed.

Repairs should be made soon and Engine 512 returned to service in the next couple of days.

Bulletproof Vest

Grant Application

Members also voted 5-0 to authorize Police Chief Dave Cincoski to apply for a grant from the federal bulletproof vest program, which makes no-match awards available to law enforcement agencies in need of new body armor.

Cincoski said that a new vest goes for $1,000 and that in 2015 the CPD will need to replace 11 of them.

Last year the CPD received $3,500 in grant moneys, which paid for half of the seven vests purchased. “Every little bit helps,” Cincoski said.

 

 

 

 

Posted 5/14/2013