Chesterton Tribune



Late comeback lifts Trojan football past Michigan City

Back To Front Page


Supposedly, good things come to those who wait.

The Chesterton football team put that to the test on Friday night, but picked up a thrilling 35-31 come-from-behind Duneland Athletic Conference victory at Michigan City.

“There are some things that we obviously have to sure up,” Chesterton coach Mark Peterson said. “Michigan City is very solid at what they do and believe in themselves. We didn’t let down. We didn’t panic.

“It would have been easy to do in that third quarter, but everybody on that sideline believed we could come back and win.”

Trailing 31-14 and Michigan City in the midst of a seven-play drive to start the fourth quarter, Jordan Dilosa stepped in front of a receiver for an interception of City quarteback Ryan Washington.

Dilosa returned the ball 71 yards to the Trojan 21-yard line with 8:55 to play.

Three plays later, Tyler Gillespie appeared to have a lane to the end zone, but fumbled and Steffan Dines jumped on it. Nate Needham’s extra point cut the lead to 31-21.

“We’ve worked hard about being able to maintain our composure and do things right,” Peterson said. “We want to give ourselves a chance to win down the stretch. We know we can do it and tonight will be a learning experience for them.

“What a fantastic group of kids.”

The Trojan defense came up with its only three-and-out of the night and took over at its own 21.

Chesterton quarterback Cole Teal connected on passes of 36 yards to Austin Stickler and 11 more to Davielle Stewart put the Trojans in position for an 11-yard TD run by Gillespie.

“Cole did a great job finding some open receivers and keeping things alive,” Peterson said after Teal went 10-for-21 for 169 yards through the air.

Dilosa again came up big with a second interception of Washington and returned it all the way back to the City 17.

“Defensively, we got those stops at the end when we needed them,” Peterson said. “Jordan Dilosa made two huge plays for us. We gave ourselves a chance.”

It took the Trojans just five plays, as they overcame three penalties, before Teal scored from three yards out. Needham’s PAT put the Trojans up 35-31.

The key play on the drive came on third-and-12 at the 20, when Avery Beeks grabbed a ball out of midair for a 13 yard reception and first down.

“You can’t say enough good things about Avery Beeks tonight,” Peterson said after Beeks’ 5-catch, 79-yard performance. “Avery made some difficult, huge receptions for us.”

The Wolves put together back-to-back receptions to get out near midfield, but the Trojan defense forced three straight incompletions to secure the victory.

“We didn’t match their tempo during the first half,” Peterson said. “We talked about that halftime and when things started to roll a little bit, things got to the tempo we liked.”

Chesterton 35, Michigan City 31



First Downs 21 21

Rushes-yards 36-236 36-193

Passing yards 167 169

Comp-Att-Int 9-25-2 10-21-2

Total Yards 403 362

Penalties-yards 5-30 7-55

Punts-avg. 2-37.0 2-23.5

Fumbles-lost 0-0 1-1


Chesterton 7 7 0 21 -- 35

Michigan City 14 7 10 0 -- 31


MC -- Logan Kaletha 54 pass from Ryan Washington (Eric Stevenson kick)

C -- Jon Horvath 2 run (Nate Needham kick)

MC -- Washington 17 run (Stevenson kick)

MC -- Ryan Jones 8 run (Stevenson kick)

C -- Tyler Gillespie 3 run (Needham kick)

MC -- Stevenson 23 fg

MC -- Kaletha 19 pass from Washington (Stevenson kick)

C -- Steffan Dines 4 fumble recovery (Needham kick)

C -- Gillespie 11 run (Needham kick)

C -- Cole Teal 3 run (Needham kick)


Posted 9/9/2013