Chesterton Tribune



Chesterton Football falls 10-9 in opener

Back To Front Page



The Chesterton football team did everything but win its season opener Friday night.

The Trojans scored two fourth quarter touchdowns that were called back because of penalties and missed a last-minute field goal in dropping a 10-9 decision to Hobart.

“Too many missed opportunities,” Chesterton coach Mark Peterson said. “We should’ve scored four touchdowns in the first half. It was a variety of things that we just didn’t do. They are game one miscues, no doubt.

“But, at the same time, it’s a game we really beat ourselves.”

Hobart scored the game’s first touchdown early in the second quarter when Tyler Turley intercepted a pitch from Chesterton quarterback Cory Boren and went 46 yards for a touchdown.

“We overplayed it,” Peterson said. “We are 17-18 year old kids out trying to make plays. Their linebacker made a great play on a bad decision by us. We pitched it when we probably should’ve just taken the loss. It’s game one. That’s a mistake we won’t make down the road.”

The game stayed that way through halftime until Boren connected with Ben Slatcoff for a 31-yard touchdown to tie the score at 7-7.

Boren hit on 2-of-12 passes for 41 yards and carried the ball 18 times between playing quarterback and running back. Tony Frencl led the rushing attack with 55 yards on 10 carries.

“We want to keep the ball in Cory’s hands,” Peterson said. “Some of the stuff we did in anticipation of tonight was putting Cory at running back too. Ultimately, we have two kids we believe in and someone in Cory that has to have the ball. He’s too talented a kid not to have it.”

On the ensuing drive, Hobart snapped the ball over its punters head into the endzone for a safety and a 9-7 Trojan lead.

Chesterton’s defense allowed just 80 yards of total offense (33 rushing, 47 passing).

“The defense did a nice job and really came to play tonight,” Peterson said. “Our coaches put the kids in a position to make plays and those guys made them.”

The Brickies put together a nine-play drive that culminated in a Matt Hylek field goal from 35 yards away for a 10-9 lead with 5:26 to play.

Kyle McWhirter took the kickoff all the way back to the Hobart 26-yard line setting up the Trojans with a chance to take the lead.

On the possession, the Trojans scored two touchdowns, both were called back on penalties. Chesterton had seven penalties for 65 yards on the night.

Turley again came to the forefront when he recovered a fumble by Boren at the 11.

Again, the Trojan defense came up big as they stopped the Brickies on a 4th and 1 at their own 20-yard line to give the offense the ball back with 2:04 to play.

Boren rushed for four yards before throwing two incomplete passes setting up Chris VanEekeren’s 33-yard field goal attempt that missed wide left.

“The game shouldn’t have come down to that last kick,” Peterson said. “Everybody will want to point their finger at it. But, we missed 12 tackles, a couple of blocks and dropped some passes. There were a lot of factors that should have kept it from coming down to that.”

Chesterton returns to the field on Friday night when they travel to Munster for a 7 p.m. kickoff.

Hobart 10, Chesterton 9



First Downs 6 9

Total Net Yards 80 166

Rushing Yards 33 94

Passing Yards 47 72

Comp.-Att.-Int. 7-15-0 4-15-0

Penalties-Yards 4-37 7-65

Punts-Avg. 6-27.0 5-30.6

Fumbles-Lost 1-0 2-2


Hobart 0 7 0 3 -- 10

Chesterton 0 0 7 2 -- 9


H -- Tyler Turley 46 fumble return (Matt Hylek kick)

C -- Ben Slatcoff 31 pass from Cory Boren (Chris VanEekeren kick)

C -- Safety

H -- Hylek 35 fg


Posted 8/20/2018




Search This Site:

Custom Search