Chesterton Tribune



Witness puts Sanchez at the scene of double murder in Center Township

Back To Front Page


Police are saying that there were three other people with Julius Garza on the night of April 7, 2012, when a man and a woman were shot dead in a Center Township home.

And one of those other three was Alejandro Santino Sanchez, who police say accompanied Garza into Jeffrey Trinka’s home that night when Trinka and Jennifer Guinn were murdered.

Sanchez was booked into the Porter County Jail on Friday, charged with two counts of murder. Garza was charged with murder only days after the shooting.

According to the probable cause affidavit filed by the Porter County Sheriff’s Police, a woman has advised investigators that she and Sanchez were at her house on the night in question, when Garza “came and picked them up.” She, Sanchez, Garza, and also the woman’s brother then drove to Trinka’s home at 1558 W. Lincolnway in Center Township, “in order to rob (Trinka) of some marijuana kept at the house,” the affidavit stated.

“She further advised that the AK-47 was removed from the back of the vehicle and was ultimately shot through the front door, killing Trinka,” the affidavit stated. “She then advised that Garza and Sanchez reentered the house. Shortly thereafter, Sanchez returned to the vehicle where (the woman) was sitting and said that they needed to get out of there because there were two people dead.”

At that point the woman, Sanchez, and her brother fled the scene, police said. Responding officers, however, found Garza still at the scene, sitting in a vehicle, police said.

Sanchez, when interviewed by investigators, “admitted being at the Trinka residence” with the others but denied that they’d been there to rob Trinka, the affidavit stated.

Garza, for his part, advised that he had already been at the home with Trinka and Guinn, that he heard a knock at the door and a gunshot, and that he’d hidden in a bedroom during the shooting.

But police say that the presumed murder weapon, a Saiga AK-47 style semi-automatic rifle found outside the house, was purchased by Garza in November 2011.

Trinka, 40, was found dead at the scene, at the base of a stairway in his home. Guinn, 31, of Hammond, was found mortally wounded in the living room and subsequently died at Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus.


Posted 10/16/2013




Search This Site:

Custom Search