Chesterton Tribune



Upper Deck Lounge has been closed

Back To Front Page



The Upper Deck Lounge is closed.

On Thursday, a simple note reading “CLOSED” was taped inside the door of the tavern, located at 139 1/2 S. Calumet Road in Chesterton, two weeks and one day after Upper Deck bartender Nicole Gland was found stabbed to death in her vehicle behind the business.

Upper Deck bouncer Christopher Mark Dillard has been charged with Gland’s murder.

An effort by the Chesterton Tribune this morning to reach the Upper Deck’s owner--Jason Budzevski, according to Town of Chesterton business registration records--was unsuccessful.

The last post on the Upper Deck’s Facebook page was made on Saturday, April 22--three days after the murder--promoting a benefit that day for Gland’s family. “100% of the proceeds from the bar will go to the Gland family,” the post stated. “$5 cover charge. Food donated by the employees & customers at Flannery’s Tavern & Val’s Famous Pizza and Grinders.”

Chesterton Police Chief Dave Cincoski told the Tribune that the CPD has received information to the effect that it was a “voluntary closure by the bar owner for an unknown period of time,” but that he hasn’t himself been able to speak to Budzevski to confirm that.

Meanwhile, Cincoski had no new information to report on the status of the CPD’s homicide investigation, except to say that detectives are still seeking to interview several persons. Cincoski declined to say, however, what connection those persons may have to the investigation.

Gland, 23, was found deceased in her Ford SUV at 9:10 a.m. Wednesday, April 19, next to a dumpster behind the Chesterton Tribune building on Lois Lanes, two doors south of the Upper Deck. An autopsy subsequently determined that she’d been stabbed 24 times in the torso, head, and neck, and bled to death.

The break in the case came later that same day, when Dillard’s girlfriend reported to Hobart Police, after hearing of Gland’s death, that she’d discovered a knife missing from her butcher block, according to the probable cause affidavit filed by Cincoski.

Dillard was located in Hobart on the evening of April 19, detained for questioning, and transported to the Chesterton Police Department.

During the course of that interview, Cincoski stated, Dillard advised that he remembered little of his movements in the early morning hours of April 19, as he’d been “‘partying rough’ for the last two days.”

But in a conversation with his girlfriend early in the morning of Thursday, April 20--in a recorded interview room at the CPD station and with full knowledge that his comments were being taped--Dillard admitted that “I killed the girl, I didn’t mean to,” telling his girlfriend that “the drugs had a hold on me,” Cincoski stated.



Posted 5/5/2017




Search This Site:

Custom Search