Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Two pets perish in house fire on 14th Street

Back To Front Page

Two house pets perished on Sunday in a fire in the home at 227 S. 14th Street, the Chesterton Fire Department said.

Lt. Aimee Gilbert told the Chesterton Tribune today that, around 2:16 p.m., the resident heard a noise like a “boom” from the kitchen and then saw smoke. The resident called 911 and exited the residence.

On their arrival, Gilbert said, firefighters observed smoke outside the one-story home. Assisted by the Porter and Liberty Township Volunteer departments, the CFD used around 400 gallons to extinguish the blaze, which was confined to the kitchen but did severe damage there.

A dog and a cat perished in the fire, Gilbert said.

Another cat, however, was saved, by Porter Deputy Fire Chief Jay Craig, who used an oxygen mask especially designed for pets, one of two donated to the PFD about a year ago, Porter Fire Chief Lewis Craig told the Tribune.

Investigators have ruled the fire accidental and traced the place of origin to the dishwasher in the kitchen, which was full of dishes and had been running, Gilbert said. Official cause of the fire: “faulty equipment.”

Some overhaul was necessary in the kitchen and adjoining living room to check for extension, Gilbert noted, but the actual fire damage to the kitchen was extensive, with heat damage to the living room, and smoke damage throughout the house.

Damage to the structure was estimated at $50,000; to contents, $25,000, Gilbert said.

The CFD cleared the scene at 4 p.m.

 

 

Posted 3/24/2014