Porter County Animal Control is investigating the poisoning of three dogs
belonging to a Pine Township resident.
According to Animal Control, around 2 a.m. Monday, May 12, the resident’s
dogs began barking, which he advised they “only normally do when someone is
around.” The resident let the dogs outside but on letting them back in later
noticed the smell of cigarette smoke in the air.
Then, on Tuesday, May 13, one of the dogs started vomiting and showing
symptoms of illness and lethargy. The vomit itself appeared to be of tuna
fishÑwhich the resident does not feed his dogsÑand had the odor of
All three dogs, when examined at the Purdue North Central Veterinary
Emergency Center, tested positive for the presence of anti-freeze in their
system, Animal Control said.
The largest of the three dogsÑLadyÑshowed clinical signs of anti-freeze
poisoning, Animal Control noted. “It is typical dog
behavior for the largest (or alpha) dog to eat first or to consume the most
when presented with food, so if poisonous food product was given to the
three dogs it would be expected that the largest of the three dogs would
have ingested the most and would be first to show clinical signs of
Animal Control added that “anti-freeze is a substance commonly known to be
poisonous to animals (it is indicated on the labeling) and is consequently
commonly used for intentional animal poisoning.”
The investigating Animal Control officer found no remaining evidence of
anti-freeze or tuna fish on the resident’s property and was able to confirm
that an old vehicle parked in the backyard on a wooden platform is not
The resident did advise Animal Control that he appears to have been targeted
on past occasions, possibly by a disgruntled former tenant. About a year ago
someone attempt ed to light his deck on fire. And someone also removed the
vents from his trailer and placed crickets used by fishermen for bait
underneath his trailer.