Chesterton Tribune



Three different drivers hit NIPSCO pole on Indiana 149 on Tuesday

Back To Front Page


The power outage which affected 1,150 NIPSCO customers on Tuesday--including Porter Regional Hospital and Chesterton High School--was caused when a motorist struck a pole located at the northeast corner of Ind. 149 and 1050N and snapped it into three pieces.

One of those pieces came to rest in the northbound lane of Ind. 149 and 20 minutes after the initial accident two more motorists struck it.

So the Chesterton Police Department is reporting today.

According to police, at 4:40 a.m. Robert L. Kreloff, 19, of Valparaiso, was northbound on Ind. 149 when, immediately north of 1050N, he left the roadway to the east and struck the pole, coming to rest in a field with the pole’s guy wires wrapped around it.”

Kreloff--who escaped injury--stated “that he did not know why he ran off the road” but that “he was slightly tired,” police said.

Then, 20 minutes later, at 5 a.m., Bill A. DeLong, 60, of Hobart, was northbound on Ind. 149 when he struck the portion of the pole left in the roadway. Police said that DeLong also escaped injury but that his passenger, Christopher M. Sherman, 44, of Valparaiso, complained of back pain and was transported to hospital.

One minute later, at 5:01 a.m., Michael V. Hrunek, 60, of Valparaiso, was also northbound on Ind. 149 when he too struck the pole. Hrunek was not injured in the crash.

Police estimated total damage to Kreloff’s 2006 Jeep Commander and the pole at up to $25,000; that to DeLong’s 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe at up to $10,000, and that to Hrunek’s 2003 Chevrolet Impala at up to $10,000.

Police said that both the north- and southbound lanes of Ind. 149 were closed at 1050N from 5:05 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday.

All but 430 customers had their power restored by shortly after 8 a.m. The remainder got their juice back by 2 p.m. Although Porter Regional Hospital was affected by the outage, its facilities were powered by backup generation, NIPSCO told the Chesterton Tribune. Summer-school students at CHS, meanwhile, were bused to Chesterton Middle School for classes on Tuesday, then bused back to CHS at the end of the day.


Posted 7/20/2018




Search This Site:

Custom Search