Chesterton Tribune



SWAT response in Porter has peaceful outcome

Back To Front Page


A Porter resident was arrested Tuesday on charges of stalking, carrying a handgun without a license, and invasion of privacy, following a brief standoff with the Porter County SWAT Team at a residence on Woodlawn Ave., Porter Police said.

According to police, at 11:03 a.m. a witness observed a male subject identified as Nathaniel Thomas Jorden, 27, with an unlisted address, enter a house in the 200 block of Woodlawn Ave. while carrying a black handgun.

From previous contacts with Jorden, officers were aware that a protective order is in place prohibiting Jorden from making contact with the resident of the house, who was not at home at the time, police said.

Officers established a perimeter around the house and one of them attempted to make contact with Jorden. “After several attempts, there was no answer,” police said, at which point the Porter County Sheriff’s Police was notified of “a possible armed person in the residence” and assistance requested from its SWAT Team.

Porter County SWAT arrived on scene and was given control of scene,” police said. “After several pings on (Jorden’s) cell phone, Verizon placed his cell phone within the area of the 200 block of Woodlawn Ave.,” police said.

SWAT command subsequently advised Porter PD that “Jorden was at the residence and that he had contacted his attorney and that his attorney is negotiating his surrender.” police said.

Jorden later left the house without incident at 1:40 p.m., surrendered to the SWAT Team, and was transported to Porter County Jail.

The resident of the home in question then gave Porter PD consent to search her residence and officers subsequently located a black 9mm handgun inside the home, police said.

The protective order against Jorden was originally issued after he was charged with domestic battery in connection with a disturbance at the home on Dec. 5, 2019, police said.


Posted 7/22/2020




Search This Site:

Custom Search