Chesterton Tribune



Porter man pleads guilty to pointing gun at man's head

Back To Front Page


A Porter man has been sentenced to time served after pleading guilty to an amended charge of pointing a handgun in connection with an incident at Danny O’s in June 2016.

Daniel H. Puent II, 46, with a listed address of 218 Michigan St., was sentenced on Jan. 20 to two years in the Indiana Department of Correction, with the entirety of the term suspended but for the six days he spent in jail after his arrest.

Pointing a firearm is a Level 6 felony punishable by a term of six to 30 months.

In exchange for Puent’s plea, the Porter County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office dismissed the original seven charges filed against him: intimidation, a Level 5 felony punishable by a term of one to six years; four counts of criminal recklessness, a Level 6 felony; and one count of public intoxication, a Class B misdemeanor.

Porter Superior Court Judge Bill Alexa also ordered Puent to “continue with and complete aftercare through Care Counseling Services,” an alcohol treatment program based in Valparaiso; to pay a fine of $200; and to pay court costs of $183. In addition, Alexa ordered Puent’s “weapons to be destroyed or used for training purposes.”

Puent was arrested in the early morning hours of June 19. According to the report filed at the time by the Chesterton Police Department, Puent entered Danny O’s, 1050 S. Calumet Road, close to last call, “became disruptive and abusive toward the bartender,” and initially refused to pay his tab and leave when asked. Puent eventually did so, at which time an employee locked the doors behind him and announced last call.

Not long after, police said, a patron opened the door to leave for the night, only to find Puent standing there and pointing a gun at his head, police said. The patron “quickly swatted the hand of M. Puent” and managed to “keep the gun away from (himself) in a physical struggle” until he succeeded in taking Puent to the ground, at which point a friend “jumped in help keep Mr. Puent down,” police said.

The patron subsequently advised police that “he was afraid for his life and that during the struggle Mr. Puent said that he was going to kill him,” police said.

Puent, for his part, made no statement but did show signs of intoxication. The gun itself--a Ruger LC9 9mm semi-automatic--proved to have a fully loaded magazine and a chambered round, police said.

The original four counts of criminal recklessness filed against Puent were for “each person that would have been down range had he opened fire,” police added.


Posted 1/30/2017




Search This Site:

Custom Search