Chesterton Tribune



PFD: Fire spreads from garage to house on Woodlawn Ave

Back To Front Page


The cause of a fire which extensively damaged both a garage and a home in the 300 block of Woodlawn Ave. late Thursday night is still under investigation, the Porter Fire Department is reporting.

The house was occupied at the time of the fire but the homeowner evacuated safely and no one was injured, Fire Chief Jay Craig told the Chesterton Tribune this morning.

The fire was initially reported at 9:20 p.m. and on their arrival firefighters found the garage at the rear of the home “three-quarters involved” and flames extending onto and into the single-story home itself, which Craig said is located approximately two feet from the garage.

Craig immediately sent a crew inside the house to get a knock-down there, “as the garage was already a visual total loss.” Firefighters then worked on the two blazes simultaneously. Complicating the job was the construction of the house, which at some point in the past received an addition with a second roof built over the original one, forcing firefighters to remove portions of the ceiling and a swath of siding to get at the blaze after it began burning between the two roofs.

“We had to tear into it to get at the hot spots,” Craig said. “There were some hard-to-reach places.”

In the end firefighters used some 10,000 to 15,000 gallons of water from a hydrant to douse the fire. Assisting at the scene were the Chesterton, Burns Harbor, Liberty Township, Beverly Shores, and Portage FDs, the Porter and Chesterton police departments, and Porter Regional Hospital EMS.

The PFD has not yet determined the cause of the fire but it appears to have started in the area of the garage, Craig said. Damage to the home was chiefly contained to smoke, water, and overhaul, and Craig believes most of the contents are salvageable. He estimated total damage to garage and house at $75,000.

The PFD cleared the scene at 12:10 a.m. today.


Posted 10/26/2018




Search This Site:

Custom Search