A man released a week ago from the Lake County Jail, after serving a year
there, overdosed on heroin in Jackson Township on Wednesday, the Porter
County Sheriff’s Police said.
The 34-year-old man was transported to Porter hospital and is now facing
possible drug charges.
According to police, at 10:05 p.m. family members in the man’s sister’s home
on Bellflower Drive heard a “thud” from upstairs, went to investigate, and
found the man unconscious. EMS personnel responded and the man was
subsequently revived, police said.
Officers found a burned spoon on the toilet tank with white residue and next
to it a baggy containing an “off-white rock substance,” police said.
The man admitted ingesting heroin and advised that, earlier in the day, “he
drove to a gas station to fill up his car when a random subject flagged him
down and offered to sell him heroin,” police said. “(The man) stated that he
purchased a ‘dime’ of possible heroin from the unknown subject, with the
intention of ingesting it intravenously later in the day. He then drove to
Illinois and purchased a needle. When he arrived back at his sister’s house
later in the day, he went to the bathroom and ‘cooked’ and ingested the
The PCSP has requested charges of possession of a narcotic drug and
possession of paraphernalia be filed against the man.