Chesterton Tribune

 

 

LTVF: Resident burned in house fire

Back To Front Page

 

A Jackson Township woman sustained burns on Saturday in a bedroom fire, the Liberty Township Volunteer Fire Department is reporting.

Fire Chief Brian Duncan told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 8:30 p.m., the LTVFD--assisted by the Chesterton FD under an automatic mutual aid agreement--responded to a report of a residential fire in the 200 east block of C.R. 1050. On their arrival, firefighters found a working fire in the rear of the home but their first task, Duncan said, was to confirm that all occupants of the home had safely evacuated, after the 911 Dispatch Center advised that the initial caller had disconnected.

Firefighters discovered both residents--a husband and wife and their dog--safely outside on a rear porch, Duncan said.

Firefighters then used approximately 2,500 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze, which by that time had “well involved” the bedroom, with flames breaching the windows, Duncan said.

EMS subsequently reported that the wife sustained first- and second-degree burns to her legs and face, Duncan told the Tribune. She was transported by ambulance to an area hospital, then later airlifted to hospital in Fort Wayne.

Investigators are blaming the fire on “careless smoking,” Duncan said, and damage was estimated at between $10,000 and $15,000.

The LTVFD cleared the scene at 11 p.m.

 

 

Posted 2/5/2018

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search