School at 651 W. Morgan Ave. was evacuated on Wednesday after Chesterton
firefighters responded to a report of smoke in the building.
Capt. Rudy Jimenez
told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 1:16 p.m., firefighters
responded to CMS after staff observed a “light haze of smoke” coming from a
storage room off a science classroom. The smoke, Jimenez added, was so light
in fact that it failed to activate the school’s smoke detectors.
There was a
haze, however, which firefighters succeeded in tracing to a light ballast in
a second interior room just off the storage room, Jimenez said. Firefighters
unwired the light and gave it to maintenance staff at CMS.
They then used an
electric fan to ventilate the windowless interior room, dispersing the haze
out into the larger classroom, Jimenez said.
faculty were evacuated pending the CFD’s search for the source of the smoke
andÑbecause the call originally came in as a “school fire”Ñthe Porter,
Liberty Township, and Portage FDs automatically responded as well, though
they were disregarded en route.
The CFD cleared the
scene at 1:51 p.m.