Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Kitchen fire in Porter

Back To Front Page

 

No person or pet was injured in a kitchen fire on Saturday at 440 Francis St., the Porter Fire Department is reporting.

Fire Chief Jay Craig told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 7:17 p.m., the PFD--assisted by the Chesterton FD, two hours and 17 minutes into its annual Street Dance fundraiser--responded to the scene. Smoke was visible from the roof line on firefighters’ arrival and flames could be seen through the kitchen window in the rear yard, Craig said.

The fire is believed to have started after food--possibly chicken--was left cooking on the stove, and then rapidly spread to the cabinetry and the ceiling, Craig said. Firefighters succeeded in containing the blaze to the kitchen and used around 200 gallons to douse it. Smoke damage throughout the first floor, however, was heavy.

The home’s occupants and their dogs were safely evacuated, while firefighters rescued two cages of pet rats from the garage.

Craig described subsequent overhaul as “not too bad,” although firefighters did remove the ceiling in the kitchen and living room and used a thermal imaging camera to check for extension. He estimated damage to the structure at approximately $50,000 and that to contents--mostly as a result of smoke--at $20,000.

The PFD cleared the scene at 9:31 p.m.

Craig noted that the CFD had previously staged its apparatus outside the Street Dance to make it easily accessible in an emergency.

 

 

Posted 8/5/2019

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search