Chesterton Tribune



Jackson Township man charged with wife's murder in January

Back To Front Page


Steven Lee Lindsey


A man now residing in Jackson Township has been charged with the murder of his wife in their Center Township home in January.

Steven Lee Lindsey, 35, with a listed address of 1041N 250E, was booked into the Porter County Jail at 3:30 p.m. Thursday. He is being held on no bond.

At 6:19 a.m. Friday, Jan. 16, officers were dispatched to the couple’s home at 509 Ind. 149 after shots were reported inside the residence. On their arrival, officers found Melinda Lindsey, 23, in bed with a gunshot wound to the head. She was transported to Methodist Hospital Northlake Campus in Gary, where she subsequently died.

In the days and weeks after the shooting, the PCSP was tight-lipped about the progress of its investigation. Sgt. Larry LaFlower refused to say whether investigators had any suspects and would only allow that they believed the shooting to be an “isolated incident.”

The probable cause affidavit released on Thursday, however, appears to indicate that investigators were focusing on Lindsey from the very beginning.

Lindsey, for his part, said that an intruder he never saw shot his wife and that recently “someone had been stalking his house,” according to the affidavit. At least one incident Lindsey reported: finding an open window on the house the week before, after returning home from an appointment. Before that, Lindsey said, someone “left lingerie inside his residence just inside the sliding glass door.”

On the night in question, Lindsey said that he was sleeping on the couch, his wife in the bedroom, when he was awakened by “like a strangle hold,” a “rear choke,” put on him by an intruder he was unable to see. Then “everything went dark and everything went black” and the “next thing he remembered was a gun shot,” Lindsey told investigators. He found himself in the baby’s room and though his hands had been zip-tied behind his back he was able to call 911, Lindsay said.

Investigators made note of the following, the probable cause affidavit states:

* Lindsey’s hands--but not his feet or his legs--were secured with a zip tie. There was “an adequate amount of space between (Lindsey’s) hands,” approximately two to three inches.

* When officers first entered the baby’s room, Lindsey asked “how his wife is” and indicated that “he wanted to go see her.” After that, though, “at no time did he request a further status on Melinda Lindsey,” “was never heard inquiring about the condition” of his wife “or her location once he was allowed to leave the residence.”

* No shoe prints were found “leading up to any of the windows of the home” or “into or out of the wooded area behind the house.” A pair of shoe prints was found leading through a neighbor’s yard to the Lindseys’ front deck but “never came closer than six feet at the near location” to the house itself.

* The baby’s room where Lindsey was found--which contained a “small plastic child’s table and two plastic chairs in the center”--showed no signs of disturbance or struggle.

* No marks or bruises were observed on Lindsey’s neck or throat, where he said a choke hold had been put on him from behind. Lindsey also “advised that he did not have any neck pain.”

* A semi-automatic pistol was found on the floor of the master bedroom, partially underneath the foot of the bed, in an open locked position with the magazine seated. That handgun apparently belonged to Melinda Lindsey, had been purchased for her by someone named “Trinidad,” and she’d been sleeping with it “after all this stuff (that) has been happening,” Lindsey said. He added that he’d never handled a handgun himself and had not shot any weapons recently. “Samples were then taken from Mr. Lindsey to check for gun shot residue,” police said. “Preliminary tests on Mr. Lindsey returned presumptive positive for gun shot residue.”

* On Monday, Feb. 9, investigators learned that Lindsey was “looking to file a claim” on Melinda Lindsey’s life insurance policy. That policy, issued on March 26, 2014, was in the amount of $1 million plus $100,000 in the event of an accidental death.

Murder is punishable by a term of 45 to 65 years.


Posted 2/13/2015




Search This Site:

Custom Search