Chesterton Tribune

 

 

INDOT serious about roadwork zone safety

Back To Front Page

 

Gov. Eric Holcomb has proclaimed April 3-7 as Work Zone Awareness Week, which marks the ceremonial start to the highway construction season in Indiana and aims to increase awareness of motorist and worker safety in roadwork zones.

“The danger is real,” INDOT said in a statement released this week. “On average since 2014, 12 people have been killed each year in INDOT roadway work zone crashes. Eighty percent of those killed are motorists or their passengers.”

Last year INDOT lost a colleague when an E & B Paving contractor working behind safety measures on I-65 was hit by a motorist. INDOT Northwest has partnered with RoadSafe to set up a memorial to those lives lost in highway work zones statewide. The display--on I-65 at mile marker 238.7, south of Ind. 2--both memorializes these losses while alerting drivers to the potential dangers in roadwork zones, INDOT said.

INDOT also released a new public service announcement on Tuesday, in the form of a 4-year-old dressed in safety attire in an active work zone, asking drivers to put down their phones and drive safely, saying, “If it was me out here, you’d pay attention.”

INDOT encourages everyone to share the new PSA to spread the word about Work Zone Awareness Week. Watch the sobering PSA at https://youtu.be/XhcdDiQaMPM

“Highway workers aren’t the only ones at risk,” INDOT noted. “Eighty percent of those killed are motorists or their passengers. The majority of work zone injuries and deaths are caused by rear-end collisions, following too closely, or making improper lane changes.”

Distracted driving is dangerous as well, INDOT said, claiming 3,477 lives in 2015 alone.

The penalties in work zones are stiff. Motorists face fines of up to $1,000 for speeding, up to $5,000 for driving recklessly, and up to $10,000 and/or a prison sentence of up to six years for injuring or killing a highway worker.

 

Posted 4/7/2017

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search