Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Former Portage teacher pleads to sexting students

Back To Front Page

A former Portage middle school teacher who police said sexted students is pleading guilty to child solicitation, in a deal which--if accepted by the court--would keep him out of jail.

On Wednesday, Bryan L. Tyman, 45--who taught at Fegley Middle School--agreed to plead guilty to two counts of child solicitation, in exchange for which the Porter County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office would dismiss a third count, vicarious sexual gratification.

All counts are Class D felonies punishable by a term of six months to three years.

Under the plea agreement, Tyman would be sentenced on both counts to three years in the Indiana Department of Correction, with all but time served suspended and to be served on formal probation. On each of the counts he would have to serve six months of his probation on home detention.

In addition, Tyman would be ordered to register as a sex offender, forfeit his teaching license, and agree not to apply for any teaching positions.

Tyman was charged on Feb. 25, following an investigation which began after a student “anonymously” alerted School Resource Officer Michael Candiano to Tyman’s “misconduct” with two juvenile females.

“Through the course of the investigation, it was learned that (Tyman) had been maintaining a relationship with the previous students through phone conversations and text messages,” police said. “Recently, he had started sending messages that were sexually inappropriate in nature. When an uninvolved student observed a photo he had sent to one of the victim’s phones, the matter was brought to the attention of Candiano.”

“During an interview with Det. Janis Regnier, (Tyman) confessed to sending a sexually explicit picture of himself and also asked the students for pictures of themselves,” police said. “The students did not send pictures of themselves.”

Tyman was subsequently charged as well with sexual misconduct with a minor--a Class B felony punishable by a term of six to 20 years--but the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office later dropped that charge.

 

 

 

Posted 9/5/2013