Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Fire destroys garage on South 21st

Back To Front Page

 

The Chesterton Fire Department battled a garage fire on Tuesday at 256 S. 21st St., which destroyed the structure and left the homeowner with minor injuries.

Deputy Fire Chief Nate Williams told the Chesterton Tribune today that firefighters responded to the scene at 3:07 p.m. and found on their arrival the detached garage fully involved. Although the garage was located some 20 to 25 feet kitty-corner from the main residence, the heat generated by the fire was sufficient to threaten the home and did in fact melt the exposed siding.

Assisting the CFD under mutual aid agreements were the Porter, Liberty Township, and Portage FDs. Together firefighters used around 10,000 gallons from a hydrant located at the southwest corner of West Morgan Ave. and South 21st Street--forcing the closure of West Morgan Ave. to allow firefighters to lay their five-inch hoses from the south side of the road to the north.

Prior to the fire, Williams said, the homeowner had been working on his motorcycle in the garage, and investigators believe that a propane heater in the garage ignited gasoline fumes. The homeowner sustained a minor burn to his hand, while a trouser cuff was seen to be charred, but he subsequently refused EMS treatment at the scene.

Williams did say that the fire displaced the homeowner’s dogs, after the garage collapsed and took down some of the backyard fencing with it. A good Samaritan of a neighbor, however, took the dogs into his own yard until a better solution could be found.

Williams said that the garage was a total loss, along with its contents including the motorcycle and tools. Damage was estimated at $10,000.

Williams noted that the radiant heat of the fire was terrific, not only melting the nearby house’s siding but also window blinds inside the home through a glass window.

The CFD cleared the scene at 4:28 p.m.

 

Posted 1/8/2020

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search