Chesterton Tribune



Fire Department responds to smoking dryer at Dair Queen

Back To Front Page


The Chesterton Fire Department responded to the Dairy Queen at 552 Indian Boundary Road on Tuesday, after a dryer at the business started smoking.

Lt. Brandon Smith told the Chesterton Tribune today that firefighters were dispatched to the DQ at 12:35 p.m. and found on their arrival that the business had been evacuated after staff reported a “strange smell” from the dryer.

On its being opened, Smith said, the dryer--which had been filled with rags--started billowing smoke, prompting firefighters to disconnect the machine and remove it from the premises. Firefighters then removed the rags, which promptly started burning and releasing a “putrid odor.”

Smith said that the rags may have been soaked in a cleaning product which reacted to the heat of the dryer.

The CFD ventilated the building, then cleared the scene at 12:55 p.m.


Posted 12/27/2017




Search This Site:

Custom Search