Fire badly damaged a home on Thursday near Long Lake in Liberty Township,
the Liberty Township Volunteer Fire Department said.
Fire Chief Brian Duncan told the Chesterton Tribune that the LTVFD
was dispatched around 10:15 a.m. to the single-family modified bi-level
residence at 620N 70E after it was reported to be fully involved.
That report proved not to be true, Duncan said, but flames were coming from
the living room window on firefighters’ arrival.
With assistance from the Chesterton, South Haven, Valparaiso, and Washington
Township departments, firefighters used 975 gallons to douse the blaze.
“It was a pretty quick knock-down,” Duncan said, and firefighters devoted
most of their time at the scene to overhaul and checking for extension.
There was a “drop-down” of the fire, to the basement beneath the living
room,” Duncan noted, and it spread as well to the kitchen adjacent to the
No one was at home at the time, no one was injured, and two dogs were found
safe in the backyard of the residence, Duncan said.
Total damage to structure and contents was estimated at between $40,000 and
The fire is believed to have started in the living room and is being
investigated as accidental. Possible cause: an electrical short of some
kind, Duncan said. The Porter County Fire Investigation Strike Team was at
the scene, however, and had not yet made any formal determination.
Also at the scene on Thursday: the Porter County Sheriff’s Police, Animal
Control—to take temporary custody of the two dogs—and Porter hospital EMS.
Duncan did make a point of expressing his appreciation to all agencies
involved and especially of thanking the county’s E-911 dispatchers for their
great work, during National Park Safety Telecommunicators Week, April 8-14.
The LTVFD cleared the scene around 3 p.m.