Chesterton Tribune



Duneland fire departments respond to fire at ArcelorMittal coke battery

Back To Front Page


The Tri-Town fire departments responded late on Tuesday to a fire atop the coke oven battery at ArcelorMittal’s Burns Harbor facility, the Burns Harbor FD is reporting.

Fire Chief Bill Arney told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 10:30 p.m., the BHFD--later joined by the Chesterton and Porter FDs--was dispatched to the battery to assist ArcelorMittal’s contracted fire protection service, Allied Universal, after a power failure disrupted operations and caused a pusher to become stuck.

With the pusher not working, “stuff go hot and a couple of small fires started on top of the battery,” Arney said.

Firefighters used Allied Universal’s 100-foot tower truck to access the battery and began flowing water to keep the materials cool until the battery “got back up to running,” Arney said.

One Porter firefighter was transported to Porter Regional Hospital after sustaining “respiratory issues” but was later released, Arney added.

The BHFD cleared the scene at 2:42 a.m.



Posted 2/6/2019




Search This Site:

Custom Search