Chesterton Tribune



CPD: Man flees officers at 71 mph on East Porter Avenue

Back To Front Page


A Chesterton resident was arrested on multiple charges last week after Chesterton Police said that he led officers on a high-speed pursuit within town limits, in the course of which an officer on foot was struck by the man’s vehicle and slightly injured.

Jarett Andrew Awald Pearce, 21, of 303 Lincoln Ave., was charged with resisting law enforcement, leaving the scene of an accident, and operating while intoxicated, police said.

The incident began at 2:13 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 11, when officers responded to Danny O’s at 1050 S. Calumet Road, following reports of a physical disturbance between two men. The first officer at the scene, police said, made contact with Pearce, ordering him to stop. Pearce, however, “ignored (the officer’s) verbal commands,” got into a Ford Crown Victoria, and--in the process of fleeing the scene--struck the officer a glancing blow to the knees and lower legs, police said.

Police Chief Dave Cincoski told the Chesterton Tribune today that the officer was treated at the Franciscan Alliance ER on Indian Boundary Road, released, and then returned to duty.

In the meantime, two other officers promptly located Pearce, following him as he headed northbound on South Calumet Road, then took a right onto eastbound East Porter Ave., where in the area of Jeffery Street an officer clocked Pearce at 71 miles per hour in a zone posted at 30 mph, police said. “The vehicle was driving down the center of the road with no lights,” police added.

Pearce then “drove directly through the intersection of Ind. 49 and East Porter Ave. without slowing for the red light,” nearly colliding with two vehicles southbound on Ind. 49, police said. Pearce, “still traveling at a high rate of speed” as he passed the entrance to Sand Creek Country Club, left the roadway in the approach to the curve just west of 250E, hitting a sign and “losing control in a field” to the north, police said. At that point officers boxed in Pearce’s Crown Victoria and Pearce “immediately put up his hands while sitting in the driver’s seat,” police said.

When officers made contact with him, “Pearce began to laugh and said he would have gotten away from us if he hadn’t missed the turn,” police said. Pearce also stated that, while at Danny O’s, a man “threw a shot of whiskey in his face and then punched him in the face” and that “he began to hit the other male immediately after.”

Pearce showed signs of intoxication, failed several field sobriety tests, and subsequently registered a blood alcohol content of .158 percent on a certified chemical test, police said.

Pearce--who was issued a citation for speeding, disregarding a traffic control device, driving left of center, and driving without headlights when required--was transported to Porter County Jail.

Officers did succeed in locating the other man involved in the disturbance at Danny O’s and that man indicated that he wasn’t interested in pursuing charges against Pearce, police said.


Posted 1/18/2017




Search This Site:

Custom Search