Chesterton Tribune



County SWAT Team responds after man with gun threatens to "kill someone"

Back To Front Page

The Porter County Sheriff’s Police mustered its SWAT Team on Tuesday after police said that a Valparaiso man waving a handgun and threatening to kill someone refused to exit his cousin’s home in South Haven.

Garland Henderson, 31, of 640 McCool Road, was arrested on charges of intimidation, resisting law enforcement, criminal mischief, criminal trespass, and two counts of disorderly conduct.

According to police, at 8:35 p.m. officers were dispatched to a residence in the 300 block of Pinewood Court in response to a report of Henderson’s walking down the street in the direction of his cousin’s home, brandishing a handgun, and “exclaiming that he was going to kill someone.” Although his cousin locked her door when he began banging on it, a child at the residence inadvertently unlocked it and Henderson entered, holding what appeared to be a medium sized pistol, police said.

Henderson’s and her children were able to safely exit the home but two other people inside, one of them confined to a wheelchair, were not, police said. The SWAT Team was mustered and officers from the Indiana State Police and the Portage and Burns Harbor departments quickly established a perimeter, but, when instructed to exit the residence with his hands up, Henderson “slammed the door shut and retreated back into the residence,” police said.

Henderson subsequently tried to flee out the rear door, where he was taken into custody after initially ignoring orders to “stop” and “get on the ground,” police said.

A CO2 pistol “nearly identical” to a Walther PPK was found in the residence, police said, and the persons still inside advised that Henderson had, “in a fit of rage,” punched a hole in the kitchen wall after learning that officers had arrived on the scene, police said.

Henderson showed signs of extreme intoxication and when transported to Porter Regional Hospital he “engaged in loud and unruly conduct,” making “disparaging comments towards officers and disruptive, loud sexual comments towards nurses,” at which time he was also charged with two counts of disorderly conduct.

Henderson was medically cleared and transported to Porter County Jail.





Posted 6/12/2013