Chesterton Tribune

 

 

CFD: Stain soaked rags combust in garage

Back To Front Page

 

Chesterton firefighters responded to a garage fire on Saturday at 1301 Lake Drive in the Graham Woods subdivision in Westchester Township.

Capt. Tony Coslet told the Chesterton Tribune today that a resident discovered his attached garage full of smoke at 11:17 p.m. and that on their arrival firefighters found that the blaze had burned itself out.

The cause of the fire is believed to have been the improper disposal of stain-soaked rags which subsequently combusted spontaneously, Coslet said.

Rags used for staining or paint thinning should be placed inside a metal can--like a paint can--and then sealed.

Some unspecified plastic items did burn and melt in the fire, Coslet said. Firefighters used thermal imaging to check over extension and did a bit of overhaul of the garage wall.

The CFD cleared the scene at 12:36 a.m., after using a positive pressure fan to ventilate the garage and home.

 

Posted 5/7/2018

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search