Paint and popcorn
got the Chesterton Fire Department out and about on Thursday.
In the first
incident, at 1:27 p.m., the CFD responded to the Aspen Pines Apartments at
1635 S. Sixth St., after a resident there reported a “toxic odor” in her
building. The resident in particular, and with some urgency, requested Fire,
Police, and EMS, and advised all first-responders to wear protective masks,
Capt. Tony Coslet told the Chesterton Tribune today.
On their arrival,
firefighters discovered that the toxic odor was only paint fumes from an
apartment getting a fresh coat from maintenance, Coslet said.
The CFD cleared
that scene at 1:48 p.m.
Then, at 2:41 p.m.,
the CFD responded to the NorthShore Health Center at 407 W. Indiana Ave.,
following the activation of a smoke alarm in the building. On their arrival,
firefighters found that NorthShore had been evacuated. They also found that
someone had burned popcorn, Coslet said.
The CFD used its
negative-pressure electric fan to ventilate the building, then cleared the
scene at 2:47 p.m.