Chesterton Tribune

 

 

CFD: Hot fireplace ash starts brush fire

Back To Front Page

Chesterton firefighters doused a brush fire on Tuesday in Westchester Township, apparently started by a resident disposing of ash from his fireplace in a wooded area behind his home.

Capt. Tony Coslet told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 8:44 p.m., the CFD was dispatched to the 1500 block of Orchard Lane in the Wake Robin subdivision, after the resident, using five-gallon buckets of water, was unable himself to bring the fire under control.

Firefighters laid 400 feet of hose and used 1,500 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze, which was confined to a gully approximately 40’ x 12’ in size. The gully, however, was filled to a depth of three feet by leaves raked there last fall by the resident. “Plenty of material to burn,” Coslet said.

Those leaves had ignited when the man dumped into the gully hot ash from his fireplace, in the belief that the area was damp enough not to burn.

The CFD did not cite the resident but Coslet did say that he gave the man “the business.”

“The man said he was glad we didn’t ream him because his wife already had,” Coslet added.

 

 

 

Posted 3/26/2014