A fire believed to
have been electrical in nature damaged the Mission: Escape suite in The
Factory building on Saturday, the Chesterton Fire Department is reporting.
Capt. Rudy Jimenez
told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 7:20 a.m., the CFD was
initially dispatched to the Frontline Foundations Inc. offices in response
to an activated alarm. Chesterton Police officers, first on the scene,
quickly determined that there was no fire at Frontline, then proceeded to
The Factory, where they made entry and subsequently traced smoke and an odor
of natural gas to Suite 3 on the second floor, where the Mission: Escape
business is located.
On their arrival
firefighters found that the sprinkler system had done “an excellent job in
extinguishing the fire” and confining it to its point of origin, Jimenez
said: a small hallway off the main lobby leading to one of the escape rooms.
The source of the
fire appears to have been a short circuit in a smoke machine or its
extension cord, which on igniting began to burn a nearby stage prop from the
bank heist escape room: a cardboard swag box containing fake money, Jimenez
Fire damage was
minimal but water damage was fairly extensive--both to Suite 3 and to Suite
2, beneath it on the ground floor--inasmuch as the sprinkler system
continued to release water until firefighters turned it off.
damage to the building at $10,000 and that to contents at $5,000. He added
that Suite 2 on the ground floor is currently vacant.
The CFD cleared the
scene at 8:37 a.m.