Chesterton Tribune

 

 

CFD: Fire damages home on Park Avenue

Back To Front Page

 

No one was injured on Friday in a fire which extensively damaged a home in the 500 block of Park Ave., the Chesterton Fire Department said.

Lt. Steven Himan told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 10:53 p.m., the homeowner reported a possible electrical fire in the kitchen area of her house, after hearing a “crackling” and observing a light haze of smoke. A Chesterton Police officer who reached the scene first, however, subsequently advised the CFD that smoke was visible outside the one-story ranch house, coming from the roof.

Firefighters themselves then observed smoke and flames in the rear of the house, in the attic above the kitchen. The CFD, assisted by the Porter FD, knocked the fire down quickly, within 15 minutes, Himan said, using approximately 400 gallons of water and succeeding in confining the blaze to the attic.

Extensive overhaul proved necessary, though, due to the use of blown cellulose insulation, which fire has a tendency to “tunnel through,” Himan said, allowing it sometimes to spread unseen from one side of an attic to another. Firefighters, accordingly, were forced to pull down the ceiling in much of the house to ensure there’d been no extension.

The fire is believed to be electrical in nature, Himan said. He estimated total damage to the structure at $50,000 and that to contents at $20,000.

The CFD cleared the scene at 12:46 a.m.

 

 

Posted 1/16/2017

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search