Chesterton firefighters responded to their third house fire in as many days
on Tuesday, this one a kitchen fire in a residence in the 800 block of South
No one was injured in the fire but significant damage was done to the
Lt. Brandon Smith told the Chesterton Tribune today that firefighters
were dispatched at 7:45 p.m. after cooking oil being heated to fry chicken
ignited cabinetry in the kitchen. The fire then extended to a wood-point
Also responding—under an automatic aid agreement—were the Porter and Liberty
Township Volunteer departments.
Only about 500 gallons of water were needed to extinguish the blaze and
firefighters succeeded in confining it to the kitchen but some overhaul was
needed of the ceiling to ensure that the fire hadn’t extended, Smith said.
Total estimated damage, including smoke damage to the rest of the house and
the likely need to replace appliances: $30,000.
The CFD cleared the scene at 9:05 p.m.
At 10:45 a.m. Sunday, the CFD battled a blaze in one of the units of a
paired patio home in the 1200 block of Griffin Lake Ave. The fire—caused by
burning incense left unattended—caused an estimated $140,000 to structure
Then, at 12:18 p.m. Monday, the CFD fought a fire in a six-unit condo block
in the 2100 block of Dogwood Lane in Westchester Village on the Green. That
fire—caused by an electrical malfunction in a kitchen wall—caused estimated
$300,000 damage to structure and contents.
No one was injured in either fire.