Chesterton Tribune

 
 

CFD blames fire in home on a Christmas candle

Back to Front Page
 

 

 
 

 

An unattended candle caused a fire on Saturday in the home at 1522 Portage Ave., Chesterton Police said.

No one was injured but damage was estimated at several thousand dollars, Capt. Tony Coslet told the Chesterton Tribune today.

At 8:54 p.m., Coslet said, the CFD was dispatched to the home in response to a report of a possible structure fire. On their arrival, firefighters observed smoke coming from the second story of the home, through the doors of an upper deck.

Not much water was needed to douse the blaze, Coslet said, but the fire had ignited a a chair and a table and filled the home with smoke.

Investigators determined that the fire started when an uncontained candle in a Christmas decoration on the table burned down and ignited the decoration.

Firefighters checked for extension and found none, then ventilated the home.

Coslet estimated total damage at $4,000.

The CFD cleared the scene at 9:31 p.m.

 

Posted 12/31/2012