Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Car fire in Texas St garage does damage

Back To Front Page

A vehicle fire in a garage caused significant damage on Monday to a duplex on Texas Street, the Chesterton Fire Department said.

No one was injured in the blaze.

Lt. Steve Himan told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 1:08 p.m., the CFD was dispatched to the duplex at 2237 Texas St., in response to a report of a vehicle fire in a garage.

Himan said that the resident of the unit had been running errands earlier in the day, had parked her 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis in the garage after returning, and a few minutes later heard a pop, believed to have been the tire blowing. She went to investigate and found her car burning and the fire spreading to the garage.

Himan noted that damage might have been far more extensive had the resident not closed the interior door to the attached garage.

Assisting the CFD at the scene were the Porter and Liberty Township volunteer departments, Himan said. Around 500 gallons of water were used to douse the blaze and little in the way of overhaul was needed.

The fire is believed to have started in the Mercury’s engine compartment.

Fire Chief Mike Orlich estimated damage at $20,000 to the structure, $10,000 to contents, and $2,500 to car. Because the side-by-side duplex’s two units share a common attic, there was some light smoke damage in the second unit, Orlich noted, although it should be habitable fairly soon, after cleanup and odor control. The first unit, however, won’t be habitable for some time.

The duplex is owned by Ted Swiaon of Beverly Shores and both units are occupied by relatives, Orlich noted.

The CFD cleared the scene at 3:19 p.m.

 

Posted 7/16/2013