firefighters spent Monday on the run, with not one but two calls to a
residence in the Estates of Sand Creek, an assist in Jackson Township, and
an early morning baby-sit of an arcing power line on 100E.
Capt. Tony Coslet
told the Chesterton Tribune today that the day’s big call took them,
at 1:03 p.m., to a home in the 1500 block of Spyglass Circle in the Estates
of Sand Creek, after a fire alarm in the residence was activated.
On their arrival,
Coslet said, firefighters found the house full of smoke but no one home, so
were forced to force entry. A search of the residence, however, failed to
pinpoint the source of the smoke. Firefighters ventilated the house and when
the smoke did not continue to be generated cleared the scene, at 2:48 p.m.,
in the belief that there may have been an electrical malfunction in the lawn
As a courtesy,
firefighters returned to the residence at 9:28 p.m., to confer with the
homeowner, who by that point had determined the probable source of the
smoke: an electrical malfunction in the furnace, which he discovered when he
was changing its air filters, Coslet said.
Meanwhile, at 4:28
p.m. the CFD responded to a report of a stove on fire in the 900 block of
Crabapple Lane in Jackson Township, in an assist to the Liberty Township
Volunteer Fire Department.
On their arrival,
Coslet said, the homeowner had succeeded in putting the fire out, with no
injury to herself and no damage at all beyond a burned pot.
Finally, at 3:49
a.m. today--during the early-morning storm--the CFD was dispatched to the
1000 north block of 100E, where an electrical line was arcing. A NIPSCO crew
was in the area, though, and it quickly arrived at the scene, Coslet said,
allowing the CPD to clear at 4:18 a.m.