Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Busy day for Chesterton firefighters

Back To Front Page

Chesterton firefighters spent Monday on the run, with not one but two calls to a residence in the Estates of Sand Creek, an assist in Jackson Township, and an early morning baby-sit of an arcing power line on 100E.

Capt. Tony Coslet told the Chesterton Tribune today that the day’s big call took them, at 1:03 p.m., to a home in the 1500 block of Spyglass Circle in the Estates of Sand Creek, after a fire alarm in the residence was activated.

On their arrival, Coslet said, firefighters found the house full of smoke but no one home, so were forced to force entry. A search of the residence, however, failed to pinpoint the source of the smoke. Firefighters ventilated the house and when the smoke did not continue to be generated cleared the scene, at 2:48 p.m., in the belief that there may have been an electrical malfunction in the lawn irrigation system.

As a courtesy, firefighters returned to the residence at 9:28 p.m., to confer with the homeowner, who by that point had determined the probable source of the smoke: an electrical malfunction in the furnace, which he discovered when he was changing its air filters, Coslet said.

Meanwhile, at 4:28 p.m. the CFD responded to a report of a stove on fire in the 900 block of Crabapple Lane in Jackson Township, in an assist to the Liberty Township Volunteer Fire Department.

On their arrival, Coslet said, the homeowner had succeeded in putting the fire out, with no injury to herself and no damage at all beyond a burned pot.

Finally, at 3:49 a.m. today--during the early-morning storm--the CFD was dispatched to the 1000 north block of 100E, where an electrical line was arcing. A NIPSCO crew was in the area, though, and it quickly arrived at the scene, Coslet said, allowing the CPD to clear at 4:18 a.m.

 

Posted 5/13/2014