Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Burns Harbor resident treated for smoke inhalation in vehicle mobile home fire

Back To Front Page

 

A Shadyside Mobile Home Park resident was treated for smoke inhalation on Monday, after a fire which began in his conversion van extended to his home, the Burns Harbor Fire Department is reporting.

Fire Chief Bill Arney told the Chesterton Tribune this morning that, at 9:03 a.m., firefighters responded to a home in the 200 block of Maple Lane, where a van converted into an RV ignited when its block heater short-circuited. The fire in the van--parked less than two feet from the man’s trailer--quickly extended to the trailer’s exterior front wall, Arney said.

On firefighters’ arrival, the van was fully engulfed and “the whole front of the mobile home was on fire,” Arney said.

The BHFD--assisted at the scene by the Porter and Chesterton FDs--succeeded in extinguishing both fires, just as flames were beginning to extend into the interior of the mobile home, Arney said.

The homeowner was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by BHFD EMS but subsequently refused transportation to hospital.

Arney estimated total damage to the van and the mobile home at $40,000. The home had to be boarded up and electric service was cut due to damage to wiring inside the wall.

The BHFD cleared the scene 11:43 a.m.

 

Posted 2/26/2019

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search