Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Burns Harbor Fire Department puts out roof fire at Praxair

Back To Front Page

 

Burns Harbor Firefighters extinguished a roof fire one of the generators at the Praxair facility on North Boo Road, west of Indiana 149, on Wednesday with the help of other local fire departments.

Burns Harbor Fire Chief Bill Arney told the Chesterton Tribune that his crew was dispatched at 1:44 p.m. after a call came in from Praxair.

“We got dispatched for the roof of a generator building at Praxair that caught fire where the exhaust manifold goes through the roof. It started in the insulation and the fire ran across a 820 x 30 feet area,” said Arney. “The area of the roof had to be cut and from there we were able to extinguish the fire.”

Assisting on standby were Porter FD. Chesterton FD and Portage FD, which brought their ladder trucks to the scene. About 1,000 gallons of water was used, Arney said.

Arney said there were no injuries. The fire was contained to the roof, he added. Firefighters cleared the scene at 2:47 p.m.

The roof will need complete replacement, which Arney estimated would be roughly $10,000.

 

Posted 9/14/2017

 

 

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search