Two Dune Acres
homes had to be evacuated on Saturday in the wake of a ruptured natural-gas
line, the Porter Fire Department said.
Fire Chief Lewis
Craig told the Chesterton Tribune today that, around 6 p.m., an
Indiana-American Water Company crew working on a broken water main hit a
two-inch gas line on Ridge Drive. The resulting gas leak forced the PFD to
evacuate two homes.
NIPSCO’s response to the scene as slower than optimal. “It took them forever
to do anything,” he said.
Eventually, the PFD
transported the occupants of one of the homes to the Hilton Garden Inn in
Chesterton to spend the night, Craig said. The owner of the other home went
to a neighbor’s.
The PFD, for its
part, “baby-sat” the scene until a NIPSCO crew arrived, at 1:57 a.m.
On Sunday morning,
Craig added, the PFD gave the couple a lift home from the Hilton, at which
time NIPSCO was still working on the line.