Chesterton Tribune



Chief: Air pocket kept boy alive trapped in sand at Mt Baldy

Back To Front Page


MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. (AP) A fire official says an air pocket saved the life of a 6-year-old boy who was trapped for more than three hours under 11 feet of sand at an Indiana park.

Michigan City, Ind., Fire Chief Ronnie Martin told WSBT-TV on Saturday that firefighters felt the air pocket while poking around for the boy Friday at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore park along Lake Michigan.

He says firefighters then prodded something soft, saw the boy's head and pulled him out.

Authorities say the boy was playing on a dune that was cordoned off for restoration when he fell partially into it. It completely collapsed in on him while his family was trying to pull him out.

The boy was flown to a Chicago hospital for treatment. His condition hasn't been disclosed.

Updated 1:10 p.m. 7/13.2013


MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. (AP) An 6-year-old boy who was playing near a large sand dune at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore along Lake Michigan partially fell into a hole and then got trapped under 11 feet of sand before rescuers managed to pull him out.

It took a crew using heavy excavating equipment more than three hours to pull the boy out of a dune known as Mount Baldy on Friday, Lakeshore Ranger Bruce Rowe said. The boy was taken to Franciscan St. Anthony Health Medical Center, but was later flown to a Chicago hospital.

Rowe said he was told the boy had vital signs, but didn't know his condition. Officials didn't immediately release the boy's name or hometown.

The boy's family called 911 at about 4:30 p.m. saying their son became covered when they tried to dig him out. Emergency responders were on scene within 15 minutes and began digging by hand, said Rowe, who called the incident "baffling."

"I have never heard of anything like this here or at other sand dune parks," said Rowe, who has worked at the lakeshore since 1991. "I've never heard of anything like this on a sand dune."

"We won't let people on the dune again until we know what happened and whether it is safe for them," he said.

In a press release issued Saturday the Park Service said Mount Baldy will remain closed over the weekend while an investigation into the cause of the accident is conducted. A determination will be made Monday morning on whether it will be reopened.

Posted 7/13/2013






Search This Site:

Custom Search