Chesterton Tribune

Port-a-potty at Hawthorne Park destroyed by fire

Back to Front Page
 

 

 
 

 

 

Porter Police are investigating the arson on Monday of a portable restroom facility at Hawthorne Park.

According to police, at 12:41 a.m. a passerby arrived on station to report “some kind of fire” at the park. An officer was dispatched to Hawthorne and found on his arrival a “large fire” fully engulfing the “port-a-potty,” police said.

Porter firefighters doused the blaze and stayed on scene “to make sure it was cooled down and not smoldering.”

Meanwhile, the investigating officer checked the area for possible suspects or witnesses but found nothing and no one, police said.

Park Superintendent Jim Miller was notified of the fire.

Police estimated the loss at $1,000.

 

Posted 7/17/2012