More than five
inches of rain doused Duneland over the weekend, with temporary flooding
reported of several roadways.
More seriously, a
lightning strike caused a fire in a vacant home in Liberty Township, while
another lightning strike damaged a home in the Tamarack subdivision in
Begin with the
rain: a total of 5.18 inches of rain was recorded at the Chesterton
wastewater treatment plant. The bulk of it fell on Friday: 3.45 inches.
Another 0.40 inches fell on Saturday and then 1.33 additional inches on
There was no bypass
of wastewater over the weekend at the plant, although the 1.2-million gallon
storage basin was filled nearly to capacity, Chief Operator Bill Williams
reported: 989,400 gallons.
“We did have a few
roads flood temporarily,” Chesterton Street Commissioner John Schnadenberg
told the Chesterton Tribune today. “The same ones that usually flood
in heavy rains. There was standing water on Windridge Drive in Tanglewood
and Grace Lane in Westchester South. There was also water on Idaho Street in
“The storm sewer
system was running at capacity but once it stopped raining the water all
receded,” Schnadenberg added. “All in all, we didn’t have any really bad
At 5 p.m. Saturday,
however, the Liberty Township Volunteer Fire Department responded to a
residential fire in the 700 north block of C.R. 50W, attributed to a
Deputy Fire Chief
Brandon Cotton of the South Haven Volunteer FD was first on the scene and
reported smoke showing and flames in the rear of the residence.
“Firefighters made an attack on the fire and were able to quickly extinguish
it,” the LTVFD said. “The fire was contained to the rear of the structure.”
The home appeared
to be vacant at the time.
Assisting at the
scene were the South Haven Volunteer and Union Township Volunteer FDs, the
Porter County Sheriff’s Police, and Porter EMS.
Lightning Strike at
At 8:31 p.m.
Friday, during the height of the storm, Chesterton firefighters responded to
a lightning strike in the 1000 block of Lombardi Court, Capt. Aimee Gilbert
told the Tribune this morning.
Although smoke was
reported in the residence immediately following the strike, it had
dissipated by firefighters’ arrival. The wall and ceiling in the living room
were discovered to have been damaged by strike, and firefighters used a
thermal imaging camera to check for fire or heat both inside and outside the
house. None was found.
Two breakers were
also tripped by the strike, and firefighters advised the homeowner not to
activate the breakers until an electrician had checked the box.
The CFD cleared the
scene at 9:10 p.m.