Chesterton Tribune

Autopsy scheduled today for gunman in hostage incident at real estate office

Back to Front Page





An autopsy was scheduled late this morning on the Texas man who Valparaiso Police say fatally shot himself on Friday after holding hostages at a local real estate office.

Porter County Coroner Chuck Harris identified the man as Roy Ferguson, 48, of Fulshear, Texas.

Harris called Ferguson an ex-Valparaiso resident who had returned to the area “for a week” to “fix up an apartment” he owned.

According to the VPD, at 10:05 a.m. Friday officers responded to the Prudential Executive Group at 2612 N. Calumet Ave. in response to a report of a male subject’s entering the building with a gun.

“Officers arrived on scene and a brief exchange of gun fire” ensued between Ferguson and the officers, the VPD said.

A Prudential employee was able to exit the building at that time. She was treated at Porter hospital for a head injury inflicted by Ferguson—though not a gunshot wound—and later released, the VPD said. Other hostages were subsequently released unharmed.

At 4:30 p.m. officers made entry into the building after hearing a gunshot. They found Ferguson injured with “two self-inflicted gunshot wounds to his head,” the VPD said.

Ferguson was transported to Porter hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Harris told the Chesterton Tribune today that Ferguson appears to have sustained three different gunshot wounds, two to the head—one of them the fatal one—and a third, to the upper right quadrant of the chest.

The incident remains under investigation.

Agencies assisting the VPD at the scene: the Porter County Sheriff’s Police; Chesterton Police; Portage Police; the Indiana State Police; the FBI; the Valparaiso Fire Department; and Valparaiso University.

From the Indiana State Police:

Indiana State Police Continue To Investigate The Shooting In Valparaiso

Valparaiso- Criminal Investigation Division (CID) of the Indiana State Police at the Lowell Post continues to investigate the shooting that occurred at the Prudential Real Estate Office in Valparaiso, IN on May 25th, 2012.

The investigation has revealed that Roy L. Ferguson, 48 years old from Valparaiso, IN walked into the real estate office and fired several rounds into the air. A brief exchange of gunfire between Ferguson and police resulted in Ferguson being injured. Two hostages, a male and female, were taken by Ferguson. He barricaded himself along with his hostages in a room. The female was released after she had been injured in the upper part of her body by Ferguson. The male and a second woman, who was hidden in the room unbeknownst to Ferguson, were both released through hostage negotiators.

As entry was made by the Porter County SWAT Team, it appears that Ferguson fired two self inflicting gunshot wounds to the head. He was transported to Porter Memorial Hospital in Valparaiso where he succumbed to his injuries.

The autopsy will be today. Assisting in the investigation were the Valparaiso Police Department, Porter Police Department, FBI, ATF, Porter County Sheriff’s Department, Porter County Coroner’s Office and the Porter County Prosecutor’s Office. The investigation is continuing.

Posted 5/29/2012