Chesterton Tribune



Lt. Col (retired) H. Guice Tinsley passes away at age 86

Back To Front Page


People sometimes say the early astronauts had “The Right Stuff.” Family and friends thought of Guice Tinsley that way. He seemed larger than life, able to handle any situation with cool confidence, charm, and a lively wit.

Henry Guice Tinsley Jr., retired Air Force lieutenant colonel and former FAA official, died Jan. 12, 2018, after a battle with lung cancer and COPD. He was 86.

Guice was born in Porter, Indiana, on Aug. 18, 1931. He was the son of Henry Guice Tinsley Sr., a steel-mill foreman, and Effie Margaret Tinsley, a homemaker. Guice was an adventurous and mischievous boy who loved to ride his horse, Trigger, in rodeo races.

A natural athlete, Guice ran track and played basketball at Chesterton High School. In his senior year, the basketball team he captained made it to the Indiana State Finals. He graduated in 1949.

Guice met Nancy Kanold, who lived down the street, when they were children. Their older sisters sometimes would babysit the two of them together. Guice and Nancy formed a lasting bond, going on to marry in 1952 and remained loving partners until Guice’s death.

As a student at Purdue University, Guice took part in the ROTC program, training to become an Air Force pilot. He graduated in 1953 with a BS degree in mechanical engineering and entered the service.

Guice and Nancy were already parents of a daughter, Terry Lynn, when they moved to FŸrstenfeldbruck, Germany, where Guice was assigned to train former Luftwaffe pilots to fly jets. A second daughter, Tracy, and a son, Michael, were born in Germany.

The family returned to the United States, where another daughter, Tammy, was born in 1959. They eventually moved to Apple Valley, California, near Edwards Air Force Base.

Guice served in Vietnam as a staff development engineer and tactical fighter pilot. He rose to the rank of lieutenant colonel and received many commendations and medals, including the Distinguished Flying Cross. He was invited to become an Air Force One pilot but declined this honor because the job would have kept him away from home too much.

The family relocated to Maryland, and after Guice retired from the Air Force in 1976, he joined the Federal Aviation Administration, where he held a variety of management positions. He also earned an MBA from The George Washington University. When Guice retired from the FAA, he was honored with the agency’s Distinguished Career Service award.

In Upper Marlboro, the family built a Spanish-style house, a replica of their Apple Valley home. Guice used the surrounding acreage to indulge his love of horses, raising and racing thoroughbreds.

Guice and Nancy were inseparable, traveling and doing projects together, and relishing each other’s company so much that it was fun just to be around them. They enjoyed frequent reunions with their children and grandchildren, as well as visits from friends from around the world.

Guice’s children remember him as always being there for them, willing to drop everything and help out with whatever challenges they faced. And he was an adoring grandfather, proud of the accomplishments of his grandchildren, and great-grandson.

Guice is survived by Nancy; their children Terry Lynn Tinsley, Tracy Tinsley Miller, Michael Tinsley (and wife Adele), and Tammy Tinsley; grandchildren Shelly, Stephanie, Matthew, Alex, Michael, Katie, Maggie Lynn, Brett, and Travis; and great-grandson Jayden. Guice is also survived by his sister Georgianne King and numerous nieces and nephews.

He was predeceased by his sister Maggie Lynne Richards.

Guice’s family and friends miss him tremendously, but they also cherish many warm memories of his full and happy life. He was charming, outgoing, and full of life. Spending time with him felt like a party.



Posted 2/28/2018




Search This Site:

Custom Search