Westchester Township History Museum staff at the grand opening reception for
the new permanent exhibit, “Westchester Township: Our Story,” on Saturday,
May 24, at 2 p.m., at the Westchester Township History Museum, 700 W. Porter
The new exhibit
space was designed by Museum Curator Serena Sutliff with the help of staff
members Joan Costello, Registrar; Eva Hopkins, Researcher; and Susan Swarner,
Educator. The entire staff spent months writing and editing text, choosing
images and objects, and organizing the exhibit. The wall designs were
created by the Grossbauer Group of Chesterton.
New elements of the
exhibit include kid-friendly text delivered by the exhibit’s new guide,
“Little Eva.” Little Eva will give kids and adults interesting bits of
information about local history.
Library opened the museum in 1998 as a free cultural and educational service
to celebrate and preserve the history of this community. In 2005, the museum
moved to its present location in the historic Brown Mansion, an 1885
Victorian house located on Porter Avenue in Chesterton. Last year, the
Westchester Public Library Board of Trustees approved a project proposal to
remodel the exhibit space in the Brown Mansion to create a more modern,
visitor-friendly look and layout.
After such hard
work, the staff is proud to announce the completion of the space and have
planned a celebration to officially reopen the permanent exhibit.
Join special guests
State Senator Karen Tallian and State Representative Scott Pelath as well as
several county, township, and town leaders. House tours will be scheduled
throughout the afternoon. Refreshments will be served.
The museum is open
to the public Wednesday-Sunday from 1-5 p.m. or by appointment.
information, please call the museum at 983-9715.