Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Burns Harbor Steel Plant Historic Marker to be dedicated Saturday October 20

Back To Front Page

 

A public dedication ceremony for an Indiana state historical marker commemorating the development and legacy of the Burns Harbor Steel Plant is scheduled for Saturday, October 20, 2018. The marker will be unveiled, at 3 p.m. CT, at the Burns Harbor Town Hall, 1240 N. Boo Rd., Burns Harbor. Parking for the event is available on site.

The text follows for the state marker entitled “Legacy of Steel/Burns Harbor Steel Plant”: “In the early 1900s, steel plants were developed on southern Lake Michigan to improve access to growing Midwest markets. After purchasing 3,300 acres in Porter County, Bethlehem Steel built and began its Burns Harbor operations in 1964. The plant’s development spurred local conservation efforts leading to the creation of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore in 1966. The Burns Harbor plant was key to building the Port of Indiana and incorporation of the Town of Burns Harbor in 1967. Designed as a fully integrated plant, it relies on the port for transporting raw materials. Since 1969, Burns Harbor remains the newest integrated U.S. steel facility. Global steelmaker ArcelorMittal gained ownership of the Burns Harbor plant in 2007.”

The public is invited to attend the dedication ceremony for this state historical marker that examines the expansion of the steel industry in northwest Indiana in the post-WWII period and the relationship between industry and conservation in that area. Bethlehem Steel was one of the country's leading steel producers in the twentieth century and its Burns Harbor plant was the company’s first in the Midwest. The marker was made possible thanks to the efforts of ArcelorMittal and the Town of Burns Harbor.

State historical markers commemorate significant individuals, organizations, places, and events in Indiana history. These markers help communities throughout the state promote, preserve, and present their history for the education and enjoyment of residents and tourists of all ages. For over 100 years the Indiana Historical Bureau has been marking Indiana history. Since 1946, the marker format has been the large roadside marker, which has the familiar dark blue background with gold lettering and the outline of the state of Indiana at the top. Over 650 of these markers have been installed over the years.

For more information about the Indiana Historical Marker Program and other resources about Indiana, visit the Indiana Historical Bureau’s website at http://www.IN.gov/history or call (317) 232-2535.

For more information about the marker dedication ceremony commemorating the Burns Harbor Steel Plant, contact Toni Biancardi, Councilwoman At-Large, at (219) 771-3910.

 

Posted 10/17/2018

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search