Chesterton Tribune



BMV to extend hours of operation for election ID

Back To Front Page


The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) will extend hours of operation on Monday, Nov. 4, and Tuesday, Nov. 5.

Branches in counties holding elections in the municipal election on May 5 will be open to issue ID cards and driverís licenses to be used for identification at a polling place.

Branch hours on Monday, Nov. 4, will be from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and on Tuesday, Nov. 5, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.

As required by state law, branches with extended hours will only process new, amended, or replacement ID cards, and renewed, amended, or replacement driverís licenses and learner permits. New driverís licenses and learner permits will only be processed provided the customer has previously completed all required testing. Customers who are required to take a knowledge or driving skills exam to obtain or renew a license may choose to apply for a free ID card to use for voting purposes.

Individuals who hold a driverís license or ID card that expired after the last general election may use the expired card as proof of identification for voting purposes. The paper interim credential issued at the license branch at the time of the transaction or after a customer has completed an internet credential transaction is also acceptable proof of identification for voting purposes.

The Indiana BMV provides free, state-issued ID cards for voting purposes to any unlicensed Hoosier who is a U.S. citizen, who can provide proper documentation, and who will be at least 18 years of age on or before the next general or municipal election. The following documents are required to obtain a new state ID card or driverís license.

--Proof of Identity document, such as a birth certificate or passport.

--Proof of Social Security document, such as a Social Security card, pay stub, or W-2.

--Proof of lawful status, such as a birth certificate or passport.

--Proof of residency: two documents such as a voter registration card, utility bill or bank statement.

If your name has been legally changed and now differs from your identity document(s) (i.e., birth certificate or passport), proof of name change must be provided in order to obtain a state ID or driverís license.

A complete list of documents required to obtain a new state ID card or driverís license can also be found at

All branches will resume regular business hours on Wednesday, Nov. 6.


Posted 10/24/2019




Search This Site:

Custom Search