Chesterton Tribune



BMV extends November 2 and 3 hours for Election Day ID cards

Back To Front Page


The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles will be extending its hours of operations on Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 2-3, to issue ID cards and driver's licenses to be used for identification at a polling place on Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 3.

Branches will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Nov. 2; and from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 3. In addition, all branches will remain open for lunch hour.

As required by state law, branches will only process new, amended, or replacement ID cards; and new, amended, or replacement driver's licenses and learner permits. New driver's licenses and learner permits will be processed provided the customer has previously completed all required testing. Customers who are required to take a knowledge or driving skills exam to obtain or renew a license may choose to apply for a free ID card to use for voting purposes.

Persons who hold a driver's license or ID card that expired after the last general election, Nov. 6, 2018, may use the expired card as proof of identification for voting purposes.

The paper interim credential issued to customers at the branch at the time of the transaction, or after a customer has completed an Internet transaction, is acceptable proof of identification for voting purposes.

The Indiana BVD issues free, stated-issued ID cards for voting purposes to any unlicensed Hoosier who is a U.S. citizen, who can provide proper documentation, and who will be at least 18 years of age on or before the next general or municipal election. The following documents are required to obtain a new state ID card or driver's license:

-- Proof of identity document, such as a birth certificate or passport.

-- Proof of Social Security document, such as a Social Security card, pay stub, or W-2 form.

-- Proof of lawful status, such as a birth certificate or passport.

-- Proof of residency: two documents such as a voter registration card, utility bill, or bank statement dated within the last 60 days.

-- If your name has been legally changed and now differs from your identity documents (i.e., birth certificate or passport), proof of name change must be provided in order to obtain a state ID or driver's license.

A complete list of documents can be found at

All BMV branches will resume regular business hours on Wednesday, Nov. 4.


Posted 10/21/2020




Search This Site:

Custom Search