Chesterton Tribune

 

 

USW still on break in talks with USS, retirees warned

Back To Front Page

 

Five weeks after the United Steelworkers announced that it would be taking a short break from the bargaining table in its contract talks with U.S. Steel (USS), the members of the union’s negotiating committee remained at their home locals.

And while the USW said in a communique released on Friday that “we look forward to continuing our negotiations with U.S. Steel in the near future,” of more concern at the moment is a letter which USS sent to retirees earlier in the week, advising them of a Dec. 16 deadline for open enrollment for benefits and warning them “of potentially substantial premium increases.”

“We urge anyone with questions to contact the company’s benefits service center at the number or e-mail address provided in the letter,” the USW said.

“We are committed to bargaining an agreement that ensures fair treatment for our members and retirees, and we are hopeful that we can head off the ‘worst-case scenario’ premium increases the company threatened in its letter this week,” the union said. “We will continue to keep everyone informed about this situation as bargaining continues.”

In the meantime, the union reminded the membership that, since the expiration of the previous contract on Sept. 1, members have been working under an “an extension” of the expired contract.

“While this extension is in effect, the company remains bound by our basic labor agreement, including our grievance procedure and other important provisions,” the USW said.

 

 

Posted 11/16/2015

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search